Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Line List

A major part of my job as a renal fellow is to put in dialysis catheters. Before I am allowed to put them in myself, I have to have the first 10 catheters (also called "lines") supervised by a senior nephrologist. Today was a landmark day in that I put in my 10th (the last supervised) and my 11th (the first unsupervised) catheters.

You can put catheters either into the intrajugular vein, with the tip of the catheter sticking just above the right atrium of the heart, or alternatively they can be inserted into the femoral vein, in the groin, which is slightly easier technically but has a higher risk of infections over the long term.

For posterity, here's the list of the first 10 lines and where I've put them in:
1. right femoral vein
2. left intrajugular vein
3. right intrajugular vein
4. right intrajugular vein
5. right intrajugular vein
6. right intrajugular vein
7. right femoral vein
8. left intrajugular vein
9. left intrajugular vein
10. left femoral vein

3 Comments:

Blogger John Pederson said...

...and none of your patients have ever, or will ever, see and/or hear what happened on the Punk Network.

Then again, we are both raising children, right?

5:41 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

I really liked your description of a champagne tap (way back in your archives!). I used one of your sentences on my own blog, I hope you do not mind. Then I took a look around your site...Very good! Made me laugh quite a few times. All the best.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Susie Hellman said...

Why don't you think they'd like the punk network,John? You don't think they'd enjoy hearing their doctor doing a promotion for Pizza Slut?

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home