Friday, October 12, 2007

CABG gone bad

First things first: I have my first day off in two weeks. And I'm ecstatic. Unfortunately, my freedom will be short-lived as I am slated to work on Sunday...I'm going to have to make this blog entry short as I want to get an early start tomorrow; we're planning on doing some hiking around New England.

Heard a bit of funny medical vocabulary the other day. One very common term that we used is "CABG". It stands for "coronary artery bypass graft", a surgery which is done when the arteries which supply your heart are blocked and need to be bypassed, and is pronounced like the leafy vegetable, "cabbage." Bill Clinton had a CABG a few years back.

Anyways, I heard a funny term relating to CABG the other day. I told one of my co-fellows: "I have to see this patient with a CABG whose surgery had complications and now he needs dialysis." To which she replied, "Oh, you mean a sauerkraut." Huh? "Sauerkraut: a CABG gone bad!" Groan....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home