Thursday, November 09, 2006

As Easy As One, Two, Three

Did you know that the French count on their fingers differently from us? If you are American, and somebody asks you to count to three using your fingers, the index finger is #1 (hence, the "We're #1!" gesture common in American sports as well as providing an explanation for those goofy foam fingers you also find at American sporting events), the middle finger is #2, and the the ring finger is #3. Right?


Well in France, they count the thumb as #1 (see handy illustration I pilfered from this helpful website I use often to improve my French), the index finger as #2, and the middle finger as #3. Suffice it to say, I have already had numerous arguments with my wife regarding which of these systems of counting by hand is the superior one.

In unrelated news, you can add another song to the list of obscure 80s songs which are still popular in France: My Name is Luka, by Suzanne Vega. I've heard it three times in the past week!! And actually, I think for the first time ever, paid attention to the lyrics. Perhaps I was took young or didn't care at the time, but I don't think I ever realized that it's about child abuse. I guess I always thought it was about some chick named Luka who happened to live on the second floor. Check out the lyrics if you don't believe me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home