Thursday, November 02, 2006

Would Somebody Tell the French that "Tears for Fears" Is No Longer Popular?

Because we are allowed to listen to the radio (but only in the tissue culture room) in our lab, I spend a decent amount of time listening to French radio stations. As I have mentioned before, French radio stations are required by law to play at least 40% of songs in French. However, this still leaves plenty of room for foreign songs, most of which are from the U.S. or England. Of these, the majority of what you'd expect: Top 40 stuff, Justin Timberlake, Nelly Furtado, etc. But there are several TOTALLY RANDOM 80s bands which are still heavily featured, and every time one of these songs comes on I chuckle inwardly. For instance, I've probably heard the song "Sowing the Seeds of Love" by Tears for Fears more times in the past week than I have over the past 10 years in the U.S. Why the hell is this song still played on the radio now? My guess it has something to do with the fact that the French don't realize that the lyrics of "Sowing the Seeds of Love" are incredibly cheesy.

Also, I have definitely heard Ray Parker Jr's "Ghostbusters" theme song more than two times on the radio so far, and "Supertramp" still enjoys a faithful following. Finally, Red Hot Chili Peppers seems to be more popular & more mainstream here in France than I ever witnessed in America. Strange.

I'm still in the process of planning out this weekend's Tour-du-Croissant (if I can't think of a better name for it) so please continue to leave some comments as to possible Parisian destinations for me to visit!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home