Wednesday, November 08, 2006

You All Everybody

U.S.-converted French TV update:

As I've mentioned before, I can now watch as much TV as I want, as I have deemed TV-watching to be an "educational experience" now that I have to watch it in this crazy language known as French. Well, they just finished showing the first season of "Prison Break" on Chaine M6. They made it out! Don't tell me what happens during Season 2. If you're into French rap (which I'm sure you are) check out the fly French theme song to "Prison Break", "Je N'ai Pas Le Temps" (I Don't Have The Time) by Faf la Rage on YouTube.

In addition, we also recently completed Season 1 of "Lost", which I had never actually seen until I came to France. Great show. It reminds me a little of "Twin Peaks" in that every time a lingering question gets answered, it brings up three even more baffling issues to deal with. You also get the sense that the writers are kind of making things up as they go along, but somehow, it works. Anyways, on one of the "bonus features" at the end of the Season 1 disc they discuss the amusing origins of the song "You All Everybody." "You All Everybody" is the lone popular song from the one-hit wonder rock band "Driveshaft" of which the character Charlie is a member prior to the plane's crash landing on the island. Evidently, the name derives from a quote from an audience member on the Phil Donahue Show a long time ago and became somewhat of a private joke amongst the writers of the show. Anyways, the song is featured quite prominently in the show, and the French translation is completely different: "Allez, Les Gars!" (which means, "Let's go, boys!") and for some reason this difference in translation never fails to crack me up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home