Sunday, June 24, 2007

A Few Interesting Tombstones

Today's photos are courtesy of the deceased in Cemetière Montparnasse. There's some interesting stuff in there, some of it would fall into the category of "modern art" more readily than "tombstones". For example, why is there a pelican on one person's grave? Why is there a giant oyster shell on another's? More photos to follow.
Today's Topic of Franco-American Warfare for the Day: ice or no ice? At restaurants in the U.S., the default when you ask for a glass of water is to have ice cubes. In France, the default is no ice. Obviously, my (still-pregnant, for anybody wondering) wife would argue from the sans ice perspective. As for me, I'm pro-ice, and once again, since this is MY blog and MY contest, mine is the only opinion that counts. Besides, it's relatively simple for a French person to ask to "hold the ice" for water, but I get the impression that in France most restaurants don't keep random ice cubes just lying around. So the Americans take the lead, 16-15.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

you might want to check the math on your scoring through the last 2-3 entries....

8:52 AM  
Blogger nathanhellman said...

Hey Steve-o, I did double check my math, and I think it's okay. A few days ago I subtracted a point on the French side, which makes things a bit confusing. If you still think it's wrong let me know.

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home