Thursday, March 15, 2007

Born in the USA

Since I don't have anything exciting to talk about, and because I just sat through four very unfulfilling hours of a scientific meeting conducted in French with me following about 60% of the conversation and feeling once again forlorn that I am never going to be French-fluent, our topic of the day shall be:

Random List of American Things I Miss:

-being able to order a mouth-watering, juicy, thick hamburger at an endless variety of cool pubs.
-Eggo waffles.
-the endless variety of breakfast cereals (especially my man the Cap'n, who is nowhere to be found in this country).
-watching hoops on TV. What I would give right now to watch some March Madness with some ice-cold brews and some friends!
-my barbecue grill (okay, so obviously barbecuing isn't outlawed in France...it's just that it's much less common, and more importantly our apartment doesn't have a porch or deck to make such an activity feasible).
-NBC's "The Office" (although I do download the latest episodes via computer).
-Popeye's Fried Chicken. Love that Chicken!
-automatically having ice in your water glass at restaurants (in France the default is "sans glace").
-not being 6 hours ahead of all my friends in the US, thus rendering nearly impossible phone conversations at reasonable hours.
-good Mexican food.

and the #1 thing I miss most about America is....(drum roll, please!):
-being able to communicate with people efficiently and without feeling like a feeble-minded half-wit!!!
Obviously, there's a ton of things that I will miss about France when I go back...but for today I'm in a negative mood so we'll just leave these picks as-is. At least I'm not as negative about France as the morons at this web site (http://www.francesucks.com/).
French for the Day: The phrase for "I suck" is "Je suis nul."

1 Comments:

Blogger Becca said...

If it makes you feel any better, the U.S. misses you too! Tonight is the Bienvenue Party at my house and now we have a snow advisory. Typical of the trip home, I guess! Oy.

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home