Thursday, December 14, 2006

Eating A Beignet at the Moulin Rouge

I've received word that my Christmas card is just beginning to arrive at houses around the U.S. (those who live in France who may be reading this blog...I just sent out the French ones yesterday, so they should hopefully follow soon). Since there were so many pictures in the Tour du Croissant, many of them were shrunken down fairly small. Since I really liked the way some of them turned out, I'm going to post a few selections over the next week or so. To review: 19 different French pastries. 19 different timeless French landmarks. One glorious Sunday in November. Here' s a shot of me eating a beignet outside the Moulin Rouge.


French Expression of the Day: instead of playing "leap-frog", French children play "saute-mouton": the identical game, except you pretend that you are a sheep instead of a frog ("mouton" is sheep; "sauter" is the verb for 'to jump'.) It seems that the frog gets short-changed in French expressions (see also "a frog in the throat"), not to mention the indignity of having your legs eaten as a tasty delicacy.