Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Christmas City, Wonderful City



Yeah, you folks from Duluth know what I'm talkin' about...all dressed up in snow and mistletoe.

Our neighborhood is decorated up nice and colorful as well...I took this picture as I walked by on the way to going grocery shopping.

French lesson for the day:
"une mouche" = a fly

"prendre la mouche" means literally "to take the fly" and is used to describe somebody who gets unreasonably upset during an argument. Kind of like "to fly off the handle" or "to have a shit-fit", a phrase I just taught to my wife this evening.

On the other hand, the phrase "faire mouche" means to be on target, e.g. to have perfect aim during a game of darts ("flechettes") for instance.

5 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Ha ha! I love this post, because I sang that "Christmas City, Wonderful City" song to my husband John the other day--and I asked him if he had ever heard it before. His response, "No, it must just be a Duluth thing." I always thought that song went beyond Duluth, but I guess not. It's rather catchy for a local to have written it--and perhaps that person could have made some money from it (brings to mind the film "About a Boy.") Also brings to mind fond, or not so fond, memories of playing my trombone in the Christmas City of the North Parade. And stepping in horse manure.

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's weird, I remember standing in the crowd freezing my toes off, and then one year, being in the parade, and freezing my toes off...I used to think this song was made exclusively for the Christmas City of the North Parade. After 30 years, what I learned is that this song IS exclusive to Duluth!!! WE OWN THIS SONG!!! Thank you, and R.I.P. Merv Griffin, on behalf of all Duluthians, for creating a Christmas Song that will forever traditionally, and regionally grace our Christmas Playlists!!!! -Duluthian to the Heart, D.

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny,

I took my girlfriend to Duluth this weekend and started singing this song while tooling around the canal. She had never heard it before, and insisted it must be a Duluth jingle. I vehemently argued that was impossible. Thanks for settling this one for us. Way to keep the world informed.

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you very much!

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One minute, please!
---------------------------------------------------------
Signature:buy levitra professional online guy

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home