Monday, December 26, 2005

Confirmation That The Rain Forest Is, Well, Rainy

I just got back a few hours ago from my winter funfest in the Pacific Northwest, in which I managed to pack in a good amount of activities both adventuresome and relaxing. In keeping with its reputation, it was raining every single day that I visited...

The Aventuresome: Jason picked me up at Sea-Tac Airport (which I just learned is called as such due to a hybridization of the names of Seattle & Tacoma) and I was immediately whisked away to take some short hikes in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains. Our destinations included the lovely Twin Falls & Snoqualmie Falls, the latter of which is prominently featured (along with, incidentally, psychedelic midgets speaking backwards) in the famous Twin Peaks TV series of the early 90's.


Since I had always wanted to see the Rain Forest in the Pacific Northwest, the next morning we hopped in Jason's Subaru and drove all the way out to the Olympic Peninsula to explore Olympic National Park. This also involved taking the Edmonds-Kingston ferry which enabled me to chow down on some tasty clam chowder aboard the "Walla Walla."

After our maritime excursion, we made our way out to the farthest northwest point in the contiguous United States, Cape Flattery, near Neah Bay (see map below). Not deterred by the pouring rain, we nonetheless hiked the trail and were able to watch several sea lions playing along the coastline. Our following destination was the Hoh Rain Forest, on the western edge of the main part of the Olympic National Park. We busted out the tent and managed to stay reasonably dry overnight despite a constant downpour (imagine that...rain in the rain forest!).

The next morning we hiked all about the Hoh Rain Forest and I was amazed to see the magnificent spruces, Douglas firs, and moss-caked foliage. It's really unlike anything else I've seen in my life. We also managed to see an abundance of chum salmon returning to spawn.


Other highlights of the trip: singing Christmas carols with the Medeiros family, hanging out with fellow Duluthian Chad Lukkarila & his wife Kris, and devouring a damn fine Christmas turkey with all the fixins.

Thanks, Jason!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home