Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Minimum Wage! He-ya!

Another "by the numbers" theme for our Franco-American contest: Which country has the better minimum wage? My source is wikipedia (via the 2006 U.S. Department of State's Country Reports on Human Rights Practices), which says that FRANCE ($16,668 international dollars annually) is higher than the U.S. (currently at a deplorable $10,712 international dollars annually). Granted, this figure is the federal minimum (there are higher minimums in different states), and also a bill was recently passed which will increase the federal minimum wage up to $7.25/hour. However, even with this new bill I calculated that the U.S. minimum wage would still be only about $15,500 annually, less than the French, so I give them the point. They're up 17-16.

Had my last day of French lass today! In fact, it was our exam this morning. I'm crossing my fingers: it was a tough one, and it's going to be a close one as to whether or not I passed... Here's a picture of my class, which was actually a lot of fun.

French for the Day: the expression for "there's someone for everyone" is, "à chacun sa chacune".