Friday, June 08, 2007

Dad School

So Claire is taking these birthing classes and today was the day where the Dads were invited. We practiced some breathing exercises together. Exciting! It could happen any day now...

Topic of Battle for the Day: thermometer route. I was shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, to learn this the other day, but my wife informs me of a critical difference between American and French society that has to do with the orifice of choice for sticking a thermometer in order to take somebody's temperature. That's right, you've probably guessed at this stage of my fearless reporting that rather than sticking a thermometer under Jimmy's tongue to see if he has to stay home from school as in the 'States, the French stick it where the sun don't shine. And apparently, it's not just children: adults do the same thing, VOLUNTARILY, to see if they have a fever, and the rectal temperature is what they take when you go to the hospital. I guess the important lesson here is that Claire and I should definitely not share thermometers, since I don't plan on changing my American-biased temperature-taking strategies any time soon. Unless you have a fetish for sticking things up your butt (and not to be judgemental if you do, but this is, after all, my contest), the Americans take home the point and lead the contest 11-10.

French for the Day: As you may be aware, the French Open is taking place at nearby Stade Roland Garros. As we all now, the French Open is unique among the Grand Slam events in that it takes place on a clay surface. In French, it's called "terre battue": "beaten earth." Also, I find it funny that the translation of the phrase "Grand Slam" is "Grand Chelem" (pronounced like "Shlemm".) As far as I know, "chelem" does not mean anything specific in French. Sunday's men's final features #1 seed Roger Federer against #2 seed Rafael Nadal--should be good!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nate, as the son of a nurse, I can affirm you that nobody take the temperature in the rectum at the hospital anymore. It's strictly forbidden. However, that's true that some people still take the temperature that way especially for children.

Chelem ou schelem mean to win all the cards when playing Bridge or Tarot.

2:48 AM  
Blogger nathanhellman said...

I stand corrected. However, Claire swears that this is how people in her family still check their temperature. Maybe it's just another bizarre Pecqueur family tradition.

With regards to the word "Chelem" I am aware that it is also used in card games like bridge or tarot. However, we looked it up on the internet and the word "chelem" apparently originates from the English word "slam".

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan, I have enjoyed reading your blog and found your comments about taking temperatures amusing. However, I must side with your wife and her family on this matter. The rectum still provides the most accurate and reliable temperature readings despite changes in technology and political correctness. That is the conclusion of several recent studies as well as the experience of my family. So if you need to check someone's temperature, why not do it the most reliable way? I think you should go along with your wife and make your family a one thermometer family! Warm regards, An American Dad.

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home