Friday, February 02, 2007

Do you use an "M" when you sneeze?

The topic today: French sound effects!!

What sound do you make when you sneeze? If you're American, it's "Achoo!" However, in France, you have to add an "m" at the end: "Atchoum!" Do French people and American people really sneeze differently? I would've said no, but I swear I heard one of the women in our lab add a distinctive "m" at the end of her sneeze today. I'm not kidding. I was stunned.

In addition, while I was working in the tissue culture room today somebody asked me, "Est-ce que tue connais où est la pchit-pchit?" (translation: do you know where the pchit-pchit is?) I had to ask Frank to repeat what he was saying like four times before I finally got it. The "pchit-pchit" is a spray bottle (we use it to spray on things to make it sterile in the lab)--named for the sound it makes when it sprays. Frank used the word "onomatopée" (virtually the same as the English "onomatopoeia") to get his point across.

1 Comments:

Blogger Susie Hellman said...

Sneezing, though an extraordinarily satisfying bodily function, is apparently very hard on one's vocal chords. Therefore, many singing teachers ask that their students attach a word to, or vocalize their sneezes, so as to keep proper vowel placement and thus divert any harm to the voice. Medically proven? You tell me. Singers have a tendency to have very suspect medical problems. Anyway, being that the French pay particular attention to the beauty and inflection of their lovely language, perhaps the 'M' ensures proper sneeze placement? That's your sister's cockamamie theory of the day!

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home