Thursday, January 25, 2007

Bretagne-Bound

Well, I've been on a bit of an unscheduled blogging hiatus over the past few days, simply because things have gotten busy again. It's a combination of lab stuff and miscellaneous errands that need doing which I shan't bore you with. Among the more newsworthy items of the week:

-Sunday I've signed up to be in a 10km run which circles through the 14th Arrondissement (right near where I live). Apparently for any Paris running event, a "certificat medicale" is necessary stating that you are in good health and won't keel over from a massive coronary while attempting to jog. Fortunately for me, my main man Frank in the lab (a French MD) gave me one at lunch today, so I'm set.
-It's friggin' COLD outside. The sky is blue as can be, but it's colder than a witch's tit (one of my favorite Minnesota expressions) outside. I usually wear shorts when I go running since I hate the way sweatpants feel, but if it's like this for Sunday's race I'm not sure what I am going to do.
-I have a conference for the Fulbright Program next week (Mon-Wed). It should be fun: it is scheduled to take place in Rennes (in Bretagne), the region of which lies on a peninsula on the French side of the English Channel. The region is known for its crepes, cidre (a mildly alcoholic beverage served with crepes), good seafood, and women which dress in traditional Breton garb which looks ridiculous. More to follow on all Rennes has to offer in future posts...

-French of the Day: the word "la creche" can mean two very different things: first, it means daycare (as in, "Mes enfants vont a la creche" = "My kids go to daycare.") Second, it means Nativity scene (as in, "Regardez la super creche a Notre Dame! C'est vraiment immense!" = "Would you check out the sweet Nativity scene at Notre Dame? It's friggin' huge!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home