Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Que la Force soit avec toi.

Two landmarks in my French training recently: First, while in LaBaule I saw my very first "V.F." (version Francaise) film in the movie theater! Pretty much all the films here can be seen in either "V.O." (version originale--e.g. for an American movie the actors all speak in English but there are French subtitles below) or "V.F." (e.g. for an American movie, the actors are dubbed over in French and there's no subtitles, and in the case of a French movie, no additional modifications are needed). I have always gone to see the "V.O." versions but this past week I tried a "V.F." for the first time. It was Audrey Tautou's "Hors de Prix", a romantic comedy which "ne prends pas la tete" (literally, "doesn't take the head," figuratively means that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the plot), and while I certainly didn't understand every single phrase, I didn't have any trouble following the story and enjoyed watching.

The second landmark in my French education is my first book. Sure, I read newspaper articles and tons of French comic books already...but I think it's time to graduate to books. I know it's not the finest piece of literature or anything, but I'm about 2/3rds of my way through "Revanche de la Sith", the book adaptation of Star Wars Episode III. Interestingly, Darth Vader's name is France is Dark Vader, I'm not sure why. Today's French Vocab of the Day is courtesy of the Star Wars franchise:

"Que la Force soit avec toi!" = May the Force Be With You!

"le cote obscure" = The Dark Side.

And yes, Yoda talks in the same kind of "backwards" style in French as he does in English.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Approvingly your article helped me truly much in my college assignment. Hats high to you dispatch, intention look ahead for more interdependent articles promptly as its united of my favourite subject-matter to read.

5:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

4:54 AM  
Blogger Miejiriel said...

Hye!
I'm french and i like to see the movies in V.O. That rises up my english level !
I like your post, it makes me feel how I am ridiculous for never have seen the StarWars in english subtitled french. I'm gonna do that because I always heard "Darth Vader" being called "Dark Vador". And there is a reason to change his name in french : everybody knows what Dark means and that is easier to say as well (with the french bad accent of course).
Thanks
Bye

8:52 AM  
Blogger jasonbob said...

hermes belts
kobe 11
yeezy shoes
kobe shoes
supreme hoodie
golden goose
moncler
jordan shoes
cheap jordans
birkin bag

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home