Friday, September 19, 2008

Last Day in Maine

It was a successful end to the first inaugural Origins of Renal Physiology course at Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory.

I'm definitely going to give the course high marks on its evaluations so as to encourage future renal fellows to have the chance to participate in such a course. It's been a funny week which has involved intense lab work with equally rigorous play time (e.g., hiking, biking, etc), though I am certainly ready to get back to family life with Claire & Sophie tomorrow.

To end my MDIBL chronicle here are some pics of today's final hike up "The Beehive".
The path was steep and not for those with a fear of heights.

With rewarding views from the top.

Before I left, I had to make sure I took a picture of myself in front of the Kidney Shed, site of many famous renal physiology experiments at MDIBL as performed by Homer Smith.
The end of the course was marked by a good old-fashioned Maine-style lobster bake. Mmmmmm.

The lobster bake was held at Seawall Point, on the far south portion of Mount Desert Island, which to me appeared even more secluded than the rest of the place.