Friday, May 25, 2007

Organic Museum

At the beginning of the Nuit des Musées (see previous post) last weekend, we tried to catch some contortionists, jugglers, trapeze artists, and other circus artists perform in the garden of the Musée du Quai Branly, which is just next to the Eiffel Tower. Unfortunately, there was a ridiculously long line and we were told the situation was hopeless. Fortunately, this did not prevent us from viewing the museum's outside wall which faces the Seine, which is covered with thick vegetation from top to bottom. Really, really cool. Kind of like a modern-day "Hanging Towers of Babylon".

Today's Franco-American debate is sure to be a nail-biter. We shall be discussing the merits of The Pancake versus The Crèpe. This is tough. Because how can you choose between maple syrup-covered goodness and nutella-smothered perfection? I spent a good ten minutes on the Metro ride home thinking about which one should win, and I have decided that it's a draw. Nil-nil. A tie. I simply can't choose one over the other, I would feel like I'm betraying one or the other. I could flip a coin, but that would hardly be fair. A half-point each for each country.
U.S. 5.5, France 4.5.

French Vocab of the Day: one of my favorite dishes in France is the "poulet rôti" (roasted chicken), which simmers in its own juices as it turns on the rotisserie. The butcher shop near our apartment recently informed us that they sell between 200-300 poulet rôti each day. I, for one, am impressed.