Wednesday, February 21, 2007

La Grande Galerie d'Evolution

On Sunday we somewhat unintentionally wound up at La Grande Galerie d'Evolution, which makes up part of the Museum of Natural History. I had heard about the museum before going in--it's basically a bunch of taxidermy specimens of countless biological specimens ranging anywhere from insects to birds to monkeys--and to be honest I had visions of half-assed high school biology projects featuring cheesy dioramas. Well, I was pleasantly surprised and totally LOVED the museum; I could have spent a good two or three hours more if I had had the time. The exhibits were quite modern, genuinely educational, and often interactive. My favorites included several impressive whale skeletons, an interesting video exhibit describing the different types of plankton, and an impressive parade of large mammals (shown below) which make up the centerpeice of the museum.

French Expresions for the Day: a relatively common expression for "to quit one's job" is "rendre son tablier"--which literally is translated as, "to turn in one's apron."
In addition, the expression "lever le coude" (literally: "to lift the elbow") is another way of saying that somebody is out boozing it up.

Link of the Day: This hilarious Bob Dylan parody. Want to see Bob singing "I Like Big Butts And I Cannot Lie"? Here's your chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home