Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Hulk Smash

At this point in my blogging career I have yet to publicize my current #1 non-medicine/science hobby: comic books! I've collected on & off since I was about 16. There was a period during college & early medical school where I drifted away from collecting...then got back into it about 4 yrs ago. I think it's actually quite an ideal hobby for a medicine resident who otherwise struggles for reading time--my spare time is quite limited and often comes in random 30 minute chunks which is perfectly adequate to thumb through a few comics from start to finish. Here's a list of some of my favorite comics & what I'm collecting currently--not in any particular order.



1. The Incredible Hulk--I would have to list the Hulk as my "favorite comic" although right now it's going through a little of a rough patch. For whatever reason the Jekyl-and-Hyde-esque psychologic aspect of the story has always appealed to me.
2. Daredevil--probably the book I most enjoy reading at the moment...Brian Michael Bendis & Alex Maleev are closing in on like a 50-issue run which is quite remarkable, I'm upset that they're calling it quits!
3. Y the Last Man--non-super hero-comic book detailing the adventures of a man who is the only surviving male after a virus wipes out all other Y-chromosome-containing individuals on earth...not as cheesy as it sounds.
4. Ex Machina--by the same writer as "Y The Last Man", also not your typical super hero fare.
5. The New Avengers--Brian Michael Bendis, probably the hottest writer in comics, revamping the classic Marvel super hero bunch. I never collected this title before he came on.
6. Powers--Brian Michael Bendis' independent creation which is always a creative read.
7. the Ultimate line--a few years ago Marvel launched a kind of "What If?" parallel universe, retelling the history of its major characters in modern times. The good titles right now: Ultimate Fantastic Four, Ultimate X-Men (was good for a long while, now starting to peter out some b/c it's involved too many characters at this point), The Ultimates...
8. The Goon--weird, funny stuff--reminds me some of "The Tick" from the early 90's.
9. Desolation Jones--have only read the 1st 2 issues of this unusual title but so far seems cool.
10. Spider-Man--always have been a fan of this quality comic with a good storyline--but much like the Hulk, the current storyline is a little unorganized.

Horrible night in the HUP Emergency Room. Fortunately I have the next 2 days off to lick my wounds before I go back...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home