Sunday, August 14, 2005

A sad tale


When people ask me how I like living in Philadelphia, I generally say that I love it here. And it's true: this is the first time I've felt like I'm really living in a big city (Duluth & New Haven certainly don't count, and while St. Louis is comparable in terms of size it has more of a Midwest smalltown feel) and it's fun to have such easy access to all the great restaurants, bars, cultural opportunities, diversity, etc. that a cosmopolitan city has. However, there is one big drawback to all of these advantages, and that is BIKE THEFTS.

It's basically been a contest between myself (& my fiance' Claire) and the bicycle thieves in which bicycle lock technology and bicyle lock removal technology have been embattled in an ever-escalating war. Allow me to reconstruct the situation as it developed:

August 2004: my bicycle of 7 years--which I had at one point bought from my medical school classmate for a mere $30 and had thought nobody would bother stealing--was stolen from the rack outside the front of my house. It had a Kryptonite-knock-off U-lock. Unfortunately, the theft occurred a few weeks after the Kryptonite penjacking scandal. C'est la vie. I therefore bought a cheap $58 bike from Magna.

May 2005: The crappy Magna lasted me through the winter. It was secured with an old-school Huffy U-Lock which I'm pretty sure is immune to the Kryptonite penjacking technique. Unfortunately the thieves were able to remove my rear bike wheel. It's not a quick release, so presumably they had some tools with them to remove the wheel.

June 2005: I was fortunately able to forage an old rear bike wheel from an even bigger piece-of-crap bike I had bought for $40 off of Craig's List. Having learned my lesson, I was now double-locking with the U-Lock for the frame and a cable lock for the rear wheel. However the cable lock was easy pickings for the thieves and they made off with the rear wheel once more.

July 2005: At this point I started using my old Trek 400 racing bike--a bike my parents had bought me when I was 16 and had served me through several bike ride throughout Duluth, St. Louis, Philadelphia, and even a couple of triathalons in my younger days. Despite being secured with a U-Lock, the thieves were able to somehow saw through the U-Lock and take the bike!

August 2005: I bought a marginally better bike from Target again, this time a $100 Mongoose mountain bike--still kind of a piece of crap but it gets the job done. At this point, all of the thefts had occurred at night--so I was in the habit of always taking my bike in when it started to get dark. On one particularly evening, I went downstairs at about 9PM--not too long after sundown--and the rear wheel of the bike was gone.

Now I'm in the position where I have to decide to spend like $65 for a new wheel (which is over half the cost of the entire bike) or just buy a totally new cheapo bike. I'm leaning towards the latter at this point.

This is not to mention the fact Claire has had 2 bikes stolen as well.

A plague upon bike thieves everywhere! May they be flogged by bike chains and be forced to sit on a painful banana seat for all of eternity!

4 Comments:

Blogger oakleyses said...

michael kors outlet, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, tiffany and co, air max, louboutin shoes, coach outlet store online, burberry outlet, jordan shoes, burberry outlet, prada outlet, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, kate spade handbags, oakley sunglasses cheap, nike shoes, longchamp handbags, michael kors outlet, chanel handbags, air max, polo ralph lauren, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, oakley sunglasses, true religion jeans, christian louboutin, michael kors outlet, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, coach purses, michael kors outlet online sale, louboutin, louboutin outlet, rolex watches, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, nike free, longchamp handbags, tiffany and co, kate spade outlet

7:15 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

nike free pas cher, nike roshe run pas cher, air max, ray ban sunglasses, air jordan, michael kors, lululemon outlet online, air max pas cher, michael kors pas cher, north face, hollister, hollister, ray ban pas cher, true religion outlet, nike tn, true religion outlet, nike blazer, sac longchamp pas cher, sac guess, air max, vanessa bruno, sac hermes, polo lacoste, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren, sac burberry, new balance pas cher, oakley pas cher, nike air max, vans pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, hogan outlet, timberland, converse pas cher, longchamp, nike free, michael kors uk, north face, ralph lauren, louboutin, nike air force, mulberry

7:19 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

babyliss pro, valentino shoes, nfl jerseys, north face outlet, reebok outlet, soccer jerseys, nike roshe, new balance shoes, hollister clothing store, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, timberland boots, jimmy choo outlet, nike roshe run, abercrombie and fitch, lululemon outlet, north face jackets, p90x, soccer shoes, mont blanc, instyler, nike trainers, ghd, oakley, mac cosmetics, chi flat iron, insanity workout, baseball bats, longchamp, nike huaraches, birkin bag, celine handbags, iphone 6 cases, air max, giuseppe zanotti, vans shoes, asics running shoes, beats by dre, herve leger, bottega veneta, hollister, wedding dresses

7:31 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

converse, ugg, ugg, converse shoes, swarovski, coach outlet store online, juicy couture, juicy couture outlet, pandora jewelry, toms shoes, ray ban, ugg boots clearance, karen millen, links of london, marc jacobs, rolex watches, wedding dresses, ugg pas cher, ralph lauren, sac lancel, cheap uggs, ugg boots, pandora charms, uggs, abercrombie, hollister, gucci, supra shoes, ugg outlet, swarovski crystal, uggs outlet, pandora charms, montre homme, air max, thomas sabo, louboutin, ugg, vans

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home