Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Goofing Around in Lab, Zebrafish-Style

It's been awhile since I've provided evidence of my goofing around in lab, so here goes: I've arranged a number of zebrafish embryos in a petri dish to spell out my first name.  This is what dorky scientists do when they aren't busy enough in the lab. 

On a more technical note, these embryos come from an experiment in which I injected something called "antisense RNA" targeting a gene we are interested in into the embryos when they are at a very early stage of development.  48 hours later, about half of them looked like they were wild-type (a.k.a., normal--those are the fish which are straight) while the other half looked abnormal--they have a curved body axis (which I was pleased to see, since it was what I was predicting the result of the experiment to be).  The variety of straight & curved embryos in the same dish was just too much for me to pass up an opportunity to arrange them in creative word designs & take pictures.  

1 Comments:

Blogger Marion said...

lol !
That's a good idea to copy ;-)

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home