Thursday, August 14, 2008

Pike Lake Triathlon

You know what the say: like son, like father.

16 years ago, I completed the Pike Lake Triathlon "Short Course" (1/3 mile swim, 10.3 mile bike, 2.5 mile run) in my hometown of Duluth, MN. I recall being one of the last people out of the water (suffice it to say, my swimming skills are not those of Michael Phelps') but had fun passing people during the bike portion.

Not to be outdone, just last week, my father Rick Hellman completed his first Pike Lake Triathlon! Apparently it's now named the Brewhouse Triathlon, but it looks like the course is pretty much the same. Congrats, Dad! His friend Bob Nesheim put together this photo montage.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Hey, that's great! Looks like he had big fun. I guess our mom's even ran into each other at Brighton Beach the next day... that's awesome that your Dad returned to Duluth to do that triathlon.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Susie Hellman said...

You know...I too was a part of the Pike Lake Triathlon. I was the bicyclist on a team with Mylee Bishop and Kara Wheeler (Goucher), who is now an olympian. Needless to say, Kara passed a whole heck of a lot more people than I did that day!

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home