Saturday, February 14, 2009

NBA All-Star Predictions

NBA All-Star Weekend is here! Let's hope that the hospital isn't so busy that I can't steal a few moments and catch a few moments of the Slam Dunk Competition during my Internal Medicine shift coming up.

How about some predictions? We'll see how I do:

1. Slam Dunk Contest: Rudy Fernandez, Portland Trailblazers. I don't know much about the guy but I hear he can slam. Plus the contest tends to favor new blood, and there are two former winners (the Knicks' Nate Robinson and the Magic's Dwight Howard) participating within a field of of only 4.

2. 3-Point Shootout: Jason Kapono, Toronto Raptors. This one's easy. He's one twice before and is the best sharpshooter in the league. If I gambled, I'd be calling my bookie about now.

3. H-O-R-S-E: This is the first year that the NBA is going to do a H-O-R-S-E competition!!! It's about time. The three contestants will be O.J. Mayo (Memphis Grizzlies), Joe Johnson (Atlanta Hawks), and Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder--in pic above). I'm tempted to take O.J. (he's got a great name) but this could be a Kevin Durant Weekend-To-Remember: he already put up a record 46 points in the Sophomore-Rookie Game. I'll go with Durant.

4. Rookie vrs. Sophomore Game: In all honesty, I was going to pick the Rooks this year to finally beat the Sophs--the Rookie Class is just so great this year. However Kevin Durant (the best player nobody is talking about due to his being "exiled" to Oklahoma City) singlehandedly won the game for the Sophs and avoided a potentially embarrassing loss. Perhaps he was inspired by Sophomore Coach's Dwyane Wade (left) slick bowtie-containing outfit.

5. All-Star Game: I'm going to go with an East victory this year, despite the fact that the game is in Phoenix. Why? I think this is the Year of LeBron James, and I predict he'll pour in a ton of points, rebounds and assists to win the MVP Award. The other compelling storyline which could potentially go down would be if hometowner Shaq O'Neil (now a Phoenix Sun) is able to reach back to a classic performance and lead the West to a victory.

Finally, here's a You Tube clip rating the Top 10 Dunks of All Time to get everybody in the mood.