Tuesday, June 07, 2005

I Lost In Jeopardy

Well, I've just returned from my recent loss on Jeopardy. Not the game show (which, by the way, I would love to try my hand at some day in real life), silly. I am a resident in Internal Medicine at the Hospital of University of Pennsylvania. What does that mean? Put simply, I'm a doctor. I'm still in the training portion of my career, but who isn't? We have this two-week period during our residency called "Jeopardy" during which we have basically the entire time off to do as we please UNLESS somebody else in the program who is supposed to be working gets sick, has a family emergency, etc. and then the person on Jeopardy is called in to work. Based on my experience thus far, I would say maybe about 40% of the days you're on Jeopardy you get called in to do something. Anyways, it's not as if I despise my job--most of the time it's actually pretty friggin' cool--but yesterday I got jeopardized to work at the VA Medical Center in Philadelphia for a 30-hour shift and was kind of bummed.

In retrospect, however, not a bad shift. Everybody supplied their sufficient condolencences to my plight, I receieved a manageable number of interesting patients to take care of, and a super-impressive thunderstorm kept people away from the emergency room at night and I was able to have a pleasant evening. I managed to catch the entire 4th quarter of the Miami-Detroit Game 7 game (I actually ended up watching it with two vets in their room), and I got a good 5 hours of sleep with only one brief interruption for a fever spike & need to draw blood cultures.

My project for the day (since I am offically immune for another Jeopardy assignment) is to learn some more about this cool blogger website & how to use it effectively! It certainly seems like a cool idea...

I will leave you with a picture from my medical schools days entitled "Nate's ER & Bait Shop". I used this for one of my annual Christmas cards several years ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home